Thursday 4 April 2013

Introducing... Deborah


Hi, I’m Deborah and I’ve been involved in Guiding since I was a Brownie aged 7.  I was very proud to be the first one in my Pack wearing the new uniform when I made my promise!  That was 23 years ago and since then I’ve been a Guide, Senior Section, and Brownie leader myself for seven years.  I have my Holiday Licence to take Brownies away (<<see photo!) and got my Queen’s Guide award in 2007.  I went to Iceland with North West region in 1999 and I’m delighted to be travelling abroad again with Girlguiding, this time to Guyana!  I’m currently our division International Advisor which fits in around my work…

I’m now a hospital doctor in Manchester working in the medicine department, which means I look after adults who have health problems which can’t be solved by surgery.  At the moment, I’m working in cardiology and respiratory medicine.  In my spare time I’m doing a part time Masters degree in Public Health, and last year my boyfriend and I did the Coast to Coast cycle ride from Whitehaven to Sunderland in County Durham raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

For our GOLD project I’m the team first aider which means I’m responsible for the physical and mental health of our team whilst on project.  I also put together and maintain our team first aid kit and make sure I make a record of any medical issues whilst we’re away.  I’m going to be encouraging the girls to drink plenty and take their anti-malarials!  I’m really looking forward to my first adventure in South America and absorbing some of that Caribbean atmosphere! 

Check out my fundraising progress on www.justgiving.com/DeborahKirkhamGOLD

LOGL

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment